NicholasGoodly

Nicholas Goodly

Posted On May 10, 2014

What is your concentration?
My concentration is Creative Writing–Poetry.

Why are you majoring in English?
I majored in English because I had a passion for writing and wanted to be in an environment where new literature and techniques expand and challenge my approach for making art. I also knew that a degree in English would give me the skill set and experience to turn my love for writing into a career path.

What was your favorite English class at Georgia State (so far)?
My Senior Seminar this semester with Beth Gylys asks us to write a poem a week, which is challenging and has pushed out some interesting works from myself and my peers. With a full schedule of classes and extra-curriculars, it gives the first taste of being a working, busy writer. It turns out I enjoy that feeling of working under pressure.

What are some of your extra-curricular projects or activities?
My extra-curricular activities include leading the Poetry Society at Georgia State and working for Melodically Challenged, the nationally syndicated poetry radio show produced at WRAS. I am also a professional contemporary dancer who periodically performs around the city for various choreographers.

What long-term plans or aspirations do you have for your career?
I plan to attend graduate school at Columbia University in the fall to pursue a MFA in Poetry. After that I would to work with a literary journal in some capacity as well as teach on a collegiate level. I want to encourage and push new writers. Watching people grow and blossom into their full potential is a beautiful and rewarding experience that I want to have someday.