undergradeprofile2

Mariko Antonacci

Posted On November 21, 2014
Categories Profiles in English

What is your concentration?
Secondary English

Why are you majoring in English?
I decided to major in English simply because I love literature and am fascinated by the impact a work can have on an individual. I study literature because literature is life; it enhances our human experience and teaches us so much about the world around us.

What was your favorite English class at Georgia State?
This is a tough question. I can honestly say that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every English class I’ve taken at Georgia State. My favorite class would have to be a three-way tie between Dr. Burmester’s Expository Writing, Mr. Dan Marshall’s American Fiction, and Dr. Kocela’s course on American Literature from 1945 to Present.

What are some of your extra-curricular projects or activities?
I served as the President of Golden Key International Honour Society on campus, the Region 3 Council of Student Members Representative in Golden Key International Honour Society at the Society level, and as a Campus Campaign Coordinator for Teach for America. Throughout my time at Georgia State, I also served on the National Society of Collegiate Scholars executive board and started a volunteer partnership between Golden Key and Literacy Action, a non-profit organization dedicated to teaching adults in our community to read, write, and perform basic math skills.

What long-term plans or aspirations do you have for your career?
I was accepted into the Teach for America program for September 2014 and am currently teaching high-school English and Language Arts in rural eastern North Carolina.