Gabriella Schuett

Posted On November 6, 2018
Categories Profiles in English

What is your concentration?

Literary Studies

Why are you majoring in English?

I believe that the humanities—particularly the study of literature—are necessary for one’s development as a whole person. I see literature as a window into analyzing social problems, culture, politics, and history. Reading isn’t merely a fun pastime; it’s a vehicle for critical thinking and developing a sense of empathy and self-awareness.

What was your favorite English class at Georgia State (so far)?

My favorite English class was Mythology. I took the course during the first semester of my senior year, and it was taught by Dr. Dobranski. His enthusiasm for the subject and his high expectations for his students were an intimidating cocktail that made for an immensely enjoyable class. Mythology is present throughout literature, creating a language of its own. This class helped me to be more familiar with myth’s implications, giving me more confidence in my readings for literally every other English class I’ve since taken. It has also been the foundation of what I hope will turn into a thesis for graduate school.

What are some of your extra-curricular projects or activities?

I’m a desk volunteer at the GSU Writing Studio, which I will now shamelessly plug. It’s an incredible resource for all students, not just for English majors. The environment is friendly, and the conversation is intense (in the best of ways). I love working with the tutors, who all share my enthusiasm for literature.

What long-term plans or aspirations do you have for your career?

I’m currently in the market for an editing or content managing position in the Atlanta area. I want to work for a year or so before returning (hopefully) to Georgia State to pursue an MA in Literary Studies.