Wesley Dunkirk

Posted On April 2, 2019
Categories Profiles in English

What is your concentration?

My concentration is Literary Studies.

Why are you majoring in English?

In both high school and college, my favorite courses were always related to English. I chose English as my major because it was the subject matter I most enjoyed.

What was your favorite English class at Georgia State (so far)?

My favorite English class at Georgia State was taught by Dr. Dobranski and called “Seduction, Revolution, and the Birth of Science.” The course focused on the relationship between literature and the British civil wars; my minor is History, so I love studying the historical context of writing.

What are some of your extra-curricular projects or activities?

I’m currently working as a Legislative Intern with the ACLU of Georgia, which accounts for most of my time when I’m not in class. I’m also working toward completing an Honors Thesis that examines the treatment of capital punishment in Truman Capote’s novel In Cold Blood. In my free time, I enjoy going outdoors, following sports, reading, and watching too many episodes of The Office on Netflix.

What long-term plans or aspirations do you have for your career?

I plan to pursue a career focused on expanding criminal justice reform and voting rights. To accomplish these goals, I hope to attend law school and work in either public policy, criminal defense litigation, or constitutional litigation.