Internships in English-ENGL 4500
Internships provide an opportunity for students pursuing careers in teaching, writing, research, or editing to spend a designated time (usually a semester) interning in a business, school, foundation, non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or other approved site. Internships for course credit are unpaid.
- English major or minor
- English GPA 3.0; Institutional GPA 2.5
- Nine credit hours of upper-level English courses
- Internship and enrollment in ENGL 4500 take place in the same semester (Students cannot receive credit for internships completed prior to the semester in which they wish to enroll in the course.)
- Completed and signed Internship Proposal
- 112-140 hours of work on internship on- and off-site (8-10 hours per week during full semesters; summer semesters are variable internship hours)
- Meetings with Internship Coordinator
- Internship Blog
- Final Report
- Internship artifact submission to Portfolium (see the course syllabus for details.)
- Research and secure the internship the semester prior to the semester in which students wish to enroll.
- Internship Coordinator’s approval and signature on the Internship Proposal.
- Adjust credit hours from 1 to 3 when registering in PAWS (once clearance is given).
- College to Career—Georgia State’s webpage on the College to Career initiative
- Department of English College to Career—information on careers with English degrees and department opportunities to develop career competencies
- University Career Services—job search tools, interviewing tips and internship searches
- Department of English’s Writing Studio—help with resumé and cover letter writing, along with academic writing tasks
Internship Opportunities within the Department of English
- Editing for Literary Publication & Podcasting
- Five Points
- Prerequisite ENGL 4501 Literary Editing and Publishing
Contact Dr. Megan Sexton ([email protected]) for information.
Contact Daniel Holmes, Internship Coordinator at [email protected]
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
Dr. Audrey Goodman
Dr. Elizabeth Lopez
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Mark Daniel Noble
Director of Graduate Studies
Dr. Tanya Caldwell
Associate Director of Graduate Studies
Dr. Edward Christie
Troy Moore Library reservations